Monday, February 23, 2009

In A Rut

I am in a rut. I feel like everyday is the same and all the days are just running into one another. It feels like I am in the movie "Groundhog Day". I'll never forget going to see this movie with my friend Bridgett at the theater and she kept falling asleep. Everytime she would wake up, the same thing would be on the screen! I am having a hard time finding my joy. I love my husband and kids, but this responsibility bullshit is really taking a toll on me. My house is a complete and total wreck and I cannot find the motivation to get it in order. Everyday I can manage to do laundry and dishes, but we have piles of shit everywhere and I just can't make myself do anything about it because when I do, it seems to just turn into more piles. I am stressed about finances, but choosing to bury my head in the sand. I am sick and tired of being the only one in this house who knows anything about anything. I love Darrell with all my heart, but I feel like we are in a relationship rut too, and I don't know what to do about it. He thinks if he tells me how much he loves me and how committed he is to me, then that is good for our relationship. Well, it is, but that is what I already know...show me something different.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm tired of my life, and I don't like the way that sounds. Right now I just feel like running away, temporarily. I just need a break.

Another part of my problem is my mother's mother. I would call her my grandmother, but that is somewhat a term of endearment and I have decided I hate that bitch. Don't judge me. It's a fact. She is ruining my parents' lives and for some odd reason my mother is letting her. She can't take care of herself (partly just because she won't) and she completely manipulates my mother. She's too poor to afford a nursing home, but brings in just enough not to qualify for medicaid. Had I been smart enough to realize a couple of years ago that she would have qualified for medicaid, I would have suggested it then. I didn't understand the whole medicare/medicaid setup. I try giving my mother advice, but she doesn't listen. I have told her how I feel about her mother. I don't understand why she just can't die already. This same shit has been going on for over 5 years now. Her mother is C.R.A.Z.Y. I worry daily about my mom and the effect all of this is having on her. I also selfishly worry about me and the fact that I want my mom and I can't have her. I wish I could just have some peace about all of this so that I can get past it. I have tried, but it just doesn't seem to to be working. There is only one solution, and I am not in charge of that.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey, you know I'm always here if you need to talk. I have had a lot of days/weeks/months like that...maybe you do need a weekend by yourself. I would get together for a girls night w/ you, but my lovely husband is at a class (aka vacation) in Florida for 2 weeks. My in-laws are coming in this weeknd so call me and maybe I can have them watch the kids and we can go out for a bit. Love you...hang in there!

Nicole said...

Julie, I understand what you are feeling. The past month I have been feeling the same way. Let me know if you want to get together for a drink or something. I am in desperate need of a mom's night.
Hang in there.

Kelly said...

Hey Julie! I wish I was there to drag you out for a drink! I have been in the same boat as you for awhile now. I don't have any advice...just know that you aren't alone in your feelings! Hugs from TX!!!

Kim said...

Girl, we need a night out! And you need to call me when you feel this way! Love you!

Jen said...

I feel terrible that I haven't been to your blog in forever... and then I see this and feel so bad that you feel so bad. (I hope you're better today).

As for feeling in a rut, I try to find the most non-momma thing and focus on it for 20 minutes a day or so. For me, it's politics (no comment, Kelly). It reminds me that I have a brain and that I can think/discuss at an adult level. I know you like to run, but sometimes we need to exercise our brains, too.

As for your mother's mother I've had SIMILAR experiences and you have two choices: accept the relationship for what it is (horrible) or tell your granda to shape up. I had to tell my MIL that once and I really got through to her by forcing her to realize her son wasn't always going to put up with her crap. I told her that her son is a good person but will only be able to take so much before he resents her and starts to ignore her. I told her she had a choice, keep taking him for granted or chill out and appreciate the love and support he was giving. Remarkably, it worked. I thinks she just got bored with her life and being a bitch came easier the less she thought about others.

Whatever happens, you have my support and I certainly won't judge you.

Jen